Monday, September 20, 2010

Clover Club

210 Smith St, Brooklyn
www.cloverclubny.com


Speakeasy part two.

Earlier this summer Ryan, Sara, Bryant and I brunched at the Clover Club in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn. We were delighted by the steampunk vibe, the dark wood and eclectic antique furniture. We were treated to a corner booth in the back room, which was empty except for us. Having read that the Clover Club is known for their cocktails, I sampled a Blackberry Collins ($9), and Sara had the Sloe and Low ($10). I'm no connoisseur and am new to gin drinks especially (having previously been a vodka grrl), but I can honestly say that was the BEST cocktail I have ever had. I dream about it at night, and on Saturday mornings I think longingly of revisiting Clover Club's liquid brunch. The blackberry-ness was perfect and rich and a beautiful color to boot. I also sampled Sara's drink, which was its own version of loveliness, but I would order another Blackberry Collins in a heartbeat.

Enough syrupy goodness. I loved my food--the special omelette ($10), which was asparagus on the day we visited. I even drooled over the jam that came with the sourdough toast. Everyone else liked their food although they weren't quite as enamored as I. It must have been something in the gin that colored my senses. Added to the steampunk vibe--illustrated a bit humorously when the staff attempted to pull out a hidden television to show the World Cup, yet it took about four employees to figure out how to turn it on--and I had quite a magical brunch experience.

But then I always was one for anachronisms, asparagus, brunch, and blackberries. Worth making the journey back to Brooklyn any time.

4 petals
fantastic cocktails, steampunk decor, tasty brunch options

Photo of Sara and I by Ryan Warner.

No comments:

Post a Comment