Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Film Center Cafe

9th Ave btwn 44th and 45th, Manhattan
www.filmcentercafe.com


Ryan and I met Demond at the Film Center Cafe for brunch last weekend. It was surprisingly uncrowded for 12:30 on a Saturday (we've been other times on the weekends and had to wait, but this time we got a sweet corner booth). The cafe plays old movies on its tvs over the bar, which adds a bit of charm. Demond stuck with his regular--eggs benedict--and I got my semi-regular, eggs florentine. Ryan had three eggs with hash browns and toast. The boys had iced coffee, each with their own tiny pitcher of cream, and I pretended to be European and ordered an unlimited bellini ($15). So of course I had to get a refill to get my money's worth, which led to me needing a nap later in the afternoon (granted, Ryan and I also walked down to the High Line Park at 20th & 10th, so my poor toes needed a rest).

The eggs florentine ($12) was delightful, if the potatoes were a bit greasy. The eggs were poached just right and the spinach was seasoned well. I was only put off by the canned-peach-on-a-toothpick as garnish...not quite fresh fruit, but then maybe with my bellini it was just a syrupy peach overload. The service was prompt up until the end--once again, we had to wait an eon for the check--but that allowed for time to visit the swanky bathroom downstairs. All in all a lovely Saturday brunch outing.

3 petals
plentiful brunch options and beverages, film ambiance

Photo by John Saponara

No comments:

Post a Comment